It’s time for Africa!
5 – 16 August 2024
Africa is leading major astronomy projects; be inspired by the results from SALT, HESS, MeerKAT and the dawn of the SKA era!
Be part of the movement that will encourage further growth and investment in astronomy on the African continent.
An enduring legacy and vibrant community of astronomers in Africa linked to the IAU.
- Passing of Prof. Carolina ÖdmanIt’s with deep sadness that we inform our community of the death of our beloved colleague and friend, Prof. Carolina Odman, on 15 November 2022 after a brave and extended battle with cancer. Carolina was co-chair of the NOC Outreach, Communication and Education committee until earlier this year, but her influence in our work ranged … Read more
- Forum on Astronomy in Africa 2022In preparation for the IAU-GA2024, it is essential to bring together the African astronomical community to discuss how the continent can maximally benefit from the opportunity of hosting this event, as well as follow up on discussions from previous meetings on how best to facilitate participation by countries in Africa. The 2022 Forum on Astronomy … Read more
- Calling for Input for Africa Exhibition at GA2022As we prepare Team Africa to join the XXXI IAU General Assembly in Busan, South Korea, we are calling for input and content to populate our stand and excite the world of Astronomy to come to Cape Town in 2024.
- Webinar about the image of the black hole at the centre of the Milky WayThe African Astronomical Society is organising a public webinar on the recently released image of the black hole in the centre of our Galaxy by the Event Horizon Telescope. This epochal image was everywhere in the media and all of us would like to know more about it, and what it represents. This webinar on the … Read more
- Postdoctoral Position in Stellar Astrophysics North-West University, Mahikeng CampusDescription: The Physics group at the Mahikeng Campus of the North-West University has an astrophysics postgraduate programme. One of the research topics is stellar physics with emphasis on stellar pulsations. The group also runs a small university observatory where the main instrument is a 16-inch Meade Telescope with fast and cooled CCD cameras. Also available … Read more
- Announcement: 6th Oukaimeden International School for Astrophysics (OISA)￼Sixth Oukaimeden International School for Astrophysics (OISA) will take place in Cadi Ayyad University, Marrakech, Morocco from Friday, July 1 to Thursday, July 7, 2022. OISA is the Laboratory of High EnergyPhysics and Astrophysics (LPHEA) and the Oukaimeden Observatory propose a thematic doctoral school. This edition will be organizein the framework of VIRL-UOS project, a … Read more
- Séances virtuelles du Orion AstroLabThe ORION Astro Lab project (training for club leaders in astronomy) is running lectures (in French) from 12 to 14 May 2022.
- Newly elected Executive Committee member of the African Astronomical SocietyWe extend our congratulations to the newly elected committee and look forward to our close partnership in realising the African vision of the IAU GA in 2024. Prof. Thebe Rodney Medupe is a professor of Astronomy at the North-West University, South Africa. He obtained his PhD in Astronomy from the University of Cape Town in … Read more
- Pan-African Planetary and Space Science Network (PAPSSN) – Intra-Africa Academic Mobility ProgrammeApplications are invited from African nationals for scholarships in the fields of Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space and Planetary Science, Planetary Geology and Remote Sensing. The 2nd PAPSSN Call offers the following scholarships: TARGET GROUP 1 [Applicants from or graduated at one of the partner Universities] 1x MSc Credit Seeking* (6 months) to Copperbelt University (CBU), Zambia1x MSc … Read more