It’s time for Africa!
5 – 16 August 2024
The South African astronomical community, acting on behalf of astronomy stakeholders across the African continent, in collaboration with the Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf), and with strong support from the South African Government, invited the International Astronomical Union to Africa, to hold the XXXII IAU General Assembly in Cape Town, South Africa, in August 2024. The successful bid was announced on 30 August 2018, at the XXX IAU General Assembly in Vienna, Austria.
Africa is leading major astronomy projects; be inspired by the results from SALT, HESS, MeerKAT and the dawn of the SKA era!
Be part of the movement that will encourage further growth and investment in astronomy on the African continent.
An enduring legacy and vibrant community of astronomers in Africa linked to the IAU.
- Calling for Input for Africa Exhibition at GA2022As we prepare Team Africa to join the XXXI IAU General Assembly in Busan, South Korea, we are calling for input and content to populate our stand and excite the world of Astronomy to come to Cape Town in 2024.
- Webinar about the image of the black hole at the centre of the Milky WayThe African Astronomical Society is organising a public webinar on the recently released image of the black hole in the centre of our Galaxy by the Event Horizon Telescope. This epochal image was everywhere in the media and all of us would like to know more about it, and what it represents. This webinar on the … Read more
- Postdoctoral Position in Stellar Astrophysics North-West University, Mahikeng CampusDescription: The Physics group at the Mahikeng Campus of the North-West University has an astrophysics postgraduate programme. One of the research topics is stellar physics with emphasis on stellar pulsations. The group also runs a small university observatory where the main instrument is a 16-inch Meade Telescope with fast and cooled CCD cameras. Also available … Read more
- Announcement: 6th Oukaimeden International School for Astrophysics (OISA)￼Sixth Oukaimeden International School for Astrophysics (OISA) will take place in Cadi Ayyad University, Marrakech, Morocco from Friday, July 1 to Thursday, July 7, 2022. OISA is the Laboratory of High EnergyPhysics and Astrophysics (LPHEA) and the Oukaimeden Observatory propose a thematic doctoral school. This edition will be organizein the framework of VIRL-UOS project, a … Read more
- Séances virtuelles du Orion AstroLabThe ORION Astro Lab project (training for club leaders in astronomy) is running lectures (in French) from 12 to 14 May 2022.
- Newly elected Executive Committee member of the African Astronomical SocietyWe extend our congratulations to the newly elected committee and look forward to our close partnership in realising the African vision of the IAU GA in 2024. Prof. Thebe Rodney Medupe is a professor of Astronomy at the North-West University, South Africa. He obtained his PhD in Astronomy from the University of Cape Town in … Read more
- Pan-African Planetary and Space Science Network (PAPSSN) – Intra-Africa Academic Mobility ProgrammeApplications are invited from African nationals for scholarships in the fields of Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space and Planetary Science, Planetary Geology and Remote Sensing. The 2nd PAPSSN Call offers the following scholarships: TARGET GROUP 1 [Applicants from or graduated at one of the partner Universities] 1x MSc Credit Seeking* (6 months) to Copperbelt University (CBU), Zambia1x MSc … Read more
- Call for proposals launched to achieve the Vision 2024The organising committee of the IAU General Assembly 2024 has today, at a special session of the African Astronomical Society meeting, launched a call for proposals for actions towards realising Vision 2024. Proposals are invited for grants up to ZAR20,000. Deadline 15th April 2022. Please submit a proposal even if you are not requesting any funding as this … Read more
- Special session at the African Astronomical Society Annual MeetingThe special session builds on the progress made at the Forum on Astronomy in Africa in October 2021. The programme is as follows: 15:15 Welcome & overview15:25 Update from Science Committee15:30 Update from Africa Committee15:35 Update from Outreach Committee15:40 Call for proposals to implement Vision 202415:50 Discussion16:10 Meeting summary16:15 Close How to join the session: Gearing up for the GA in 2024Wednesday 16 … Read more