Status / Challenges:
- There are many opportunities to access telescopes remotely. A trial consolidated list was developed at the OAD.
- SAAO has several new remote observing opportunities in Sutherland
- The Australia Telescope Compact Array (ATCA) is running online trainings
- e-MERLIN has a special call out for African astronomers
- AstroLab is a project that provides training on using telescopes remotely. The latest training event was held at Unizulu and aimed at training tutors in Southern Africa
- Access to world telescopes (eg. NOT, CFHT, AAT, LCO etc) is possible via the ORP bi-annual call
- Update and publicise existing lists of remote observing opportunities
- Explore new opportunities e.g. Universities with automated telescopes could also offer remote access to partners who don’t have their own. For example, UCT is aiming to build in remote access to their teaching radio telescopes so they can share access with other institutions and enable students to take data remotely which they can then analyse at their home institute
- Reserve substantial time on a small professional telescope for training.
- Build into future workshops the training to use telescopes remotely
- Exploit opportunities to use virtual observatories to access/use observations from international observatories.
Vanessa Moss (ATCA), IVOA (not responsible but can help to provide info), Kshitij Thorat (can help with Astrolab), Encarni Romero and David Buckley work with ORP, we can distribute bi-annual calls via email.